Important warning about the flammability of moisturisers

It has been known for some time that moisturisers containing paraffin are flammable and can pose a significant risk of fire and injury if ignited. The most common scernario is for a spark from a fire or cigarette to ignite clothing/pyjamas of a child that are oily after application of moisturiser. Severe burns and deaths have been reported.

A recent warning published by the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency has extended the issue to moisturisers containing less than 50% paraffin and to non-paraffin containing products.

Patients who use these products should not smoke, go near naked flames, and be warned of the easy ignition of clothing, bedding, dressings and other fabric that have dried residue of an emollient product on them.